My Tweets

Friday, December 5, 2008

It's the weekend

YAY!!!! Here's what I have planned:


A few hours on the road bike


Some running



Some celebrating my birthday!


It been great getting back into training lately. My coach is awesome and has done a great job of maximizing every minute of my available training time! This week will have somewhere around 16 hours of training (when you add in a few hours of strength work). I'm sooooo happy to be running again pain free!! Never again will I have ITB - I've learned my lesson and will keep my strength in balance and stay flexible.

Swimming has been going well but also kicking my butt. When I add in my swim from last Sunday, I've swam 12,500 meters in my last five session over the past 6 days. I was struggling to get through my cool down set today!? The suffering is okay by me because I am feeling my swim fitness getting elevated.

I'm registered for a few races for next year. I'll do the B2B full again which I consider a "practice" ironman and will be my "A" race of the year. The long term goal is to qualify for the World Championship in 2010. To do this I need to be able to go sub 9:30 on a flat course (somewhat slower on a hilly course). I think that is a stretch for 2009 so we will use this year to learn the distance better and get faster before I attempt to qualify the following year. As part of the preparation for the B2B I will do the 70.3 race in Augusta. I decided to go with this one instead of the SC Half based on the advice of my coach with the premise that 6 weeks between the races is better than 5. This will give us 2 hard weeks after the half ahead of a 4 week taper. I really want to go 4:30 or below at the half.

Like last year, I intended to get enough series points to win my age group in the SCTS in the first half of the year (March - June). That is unless I decided to get my rear handed to me in the Open division. I have a few running races coming up that should help me make this decision ...

Have a great weekend everyone and GOOD LUCK to all you studly people racing Kiawa this weekend!!!!

3 comments:

Wes said...

Happy Birthday, Nick! I can't believe you are already training that many hours!! Insane!!

:-)

Mendy said...

Happy (belated) Birthday Nick!!! Sounds like you've already got your 2009 planned out.

Anonymous said...

So when are you going to share with us on how you beat the dreaded ITBS?