My Tweets

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Oct 31 - Nov 6 Rock N Roll Savannah




The focus this week has been getting in some good all-around tri training before heading back home to Savannah for a visit with the family and to run Rock and Roll ½ marathon as part of the Lowcounty Down's Syndrome Society team. This year we had 21 runners and next year we hope to have 100! If you want to help support LDSS financially, please donate here: https://dsal.worldsecuresystems.com/Donate

The Garmin has been a real challenge this week so I'm missing data for some of the training sessions the Tuesday big gear ride which had to have had an average cadence in the range of 50-60 RPM!!



With the impending 1/2 marathon on the weekend, the volume was a little low this week ...

Monday

Bike: 1hr, intervals http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2617

Run: 8 x 200m with Ole Tender Nip along with some easy running




Tuesday

Swim: 30 minutes with the highlight being 50 meter repeats holding best average. Let me just say that I have a looooong way to go to back to where I need to be in the water!

Bike: 90 min ride smashfest with J-Flo and Scott in the Northwest (Peak loop). This was a BRO (big ring only) ride with the bro’s with me doing my best to ride them off my wheel and drop them on climbs while mashing the biggest gear possible. I was able to manage most of the route in 53 x 11 gear, which utterly shredded my quads. I had doubts about my ability to make it up the Mike Stuck climb in my big ring, but in the end I pulled it off (with the help of my 28 rear cog). The Garmin crapped out so no data for this one unfortunately. I'm thinking cadence would have been in the 50-60 range.

Wednesday
Run: 1hr, hill repeats on Carl loop

Thursday
Swim: 30 min longer intervals
Run: 30 min easy with hills

Friday
Bike: 30 min easy spin
Travel day!

Saturday
Run: Rock N Roll Savannah 1/2 Marathon, 1:25:00. I'll have to say that this race was a lot of fun! Running down Liberty Street with crowd's lining the course screaming and then hanging with friends and family in Forsyth Park afterwards was just awesome!

Mini race report:For some crazy reason I started in the 2nd corral instead of the 1st one where I was assigned. This made the first 2 miles a little slow as I navigated through the crowd. Also interesting to note is that my Garmin measured the distance at 13.2 instead of 13.1. I believe this is because I was unable to run tangents through most of the corners because of number of runners on the course. Evidently there were 14,000 running the 1/2 and another 5,000 running the full. I ended up 50th overal, 8th in M35-39. I had the time I expected but obviously would have like to have gone faster! You can't rush fitness though. It is one it's way though and patience is the key (and losing a few lbs). With any luck I'll be able to run this time off the bike at the Charleston 1/2 ironman in April. We shall see ...




finish line before it got really crowded



Me, my son and sis after the race



Post race in the park



Race spectating really wears the kids out!



cousins Ethan and Abby playing




Sunday

Bike: 1hr. Easy cruise from parents house down to River Street where I was able to ride some cobbles and then back home with a short detour through Ardsley Park to ride by some old stomping grounds. Here are some pictures from the ride:


Riding through town




Trump Square






Broughton Street



cobbles



River Street


Along the water



more cobbles



one of many squares











Totals: Bike: 4 hrs; Swim: 1hr; Run: 4 hrs = 9 hrs.


1 comment:

Carolina John said...

Anytime you come in under 90 minutes it's still a good time! Running around the old stomping grounds of Savannah is always fun too. Good job, your full speed will be back by springtime.

Charleston half, huh? I've always wanted to do that one. Maybe this year it will work out. We're doing the Charleston Marathon in january.