My Tweets

Monday, March 3, 2008

Bad blogger, I know

Yeah, I've been a really crappy blogger lately. Sometimes I question if I should be maintaining a blog outside of my training log because of the constraints on my time. That and the fact that I'm naturally introverted, but hopefully I'll warm up to the idea of sharing my life and times with the world.

What's been happening lately?

Well, my training has been pretty consistent which is a good thing, albeit a little less volume than I would like. When summer vacation comes around I hope to bring my volume up some which is going to be crucial to a solid time at IM this fall. My weekly volume is typically about 10 hours with 100 - 130 miles a week on the bike, around 20 running and 7500 meters in the pool. This is okay for my base period and short course racing which is the first half of my season.

The IRS is after me. They say I owe big brother 10k! It looks like my former employer mysteriously reported an additional $60,000 of income for my ssn for 2006, which on top of my actual reported income put me into the bracket that gets the hammer dropped on them by the man. Hmmm, would've been nice to have the extra 60k. Can you image the bike I'd be riding right now if I'd made that!!! Maybe that 14k BMC TT03 or something like that. Well, this should be fun to deal with.

I'm pretty bushed from the weekend right now. My wife had a girl's weekend away and I (with the help of my mom and father-in-law) manned the ship. I did manage a brick on Saturday thanks to Poppy! Sunday was all chores and playing with the kids. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a training weekend at the lake house out of this. I'm going to wait until the water warms up a little so I can get some good open water swims in the wetsuit. There's really good riding in that area as well. For all you SCTS racers, y'all know what I talking about ... it the same lake where we race the Hickory Knob triathlon.

My bike sponsor and I are now in consideration of my bike setup for this season. I should know a little more on this later in the week. I've had good success on my current rig; 2 #1 AG rankings out of 3 races. The other race was the HIM and since it was my first of this distance (and first Half mary) I went super conservative on the bike. I know I'm fast in the hills on the Scott, but will it be as fast in the flats of coastal NC? I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds, a really light carbon frame that has aero tubing. We'll see what Paul comes up with. It may just be some changes to my fit and a component upgrade to the CR1, or it could be a new frame from one of the companies he sells (Scott, Trek or Jamis). There was a guy from Look in there a few weeks ago so maybe he'll start selling for them ?? I tell ya though, that new Jamis Xenith with the front brake tucked underneath the fork and the rear brake off the chain stay looks freakin' killer ... so clean from the front. High $$ frame though. More on this later ...

No comments: